Malaysian Aerospace Firm AIROD Honoured by Lockheed Martin Aeronautics

Share on

Malaysian aerospace firm Aircraft Inspection, Repair & Overhaul Depot Sdn Bhd (AIROD) held a reciprocal appreciation ceremony with the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of the Hercules C-130 aircraft operated by Royal Malaysia Air Force (RMAF) at the Langkawi International Maritime & Aerospace exhibition in Langkawi, Malaysia on May 24, 2023.

The appreciation ceremony; between AIROD Sdn Bhd and Lockheed Martin Aeronautics signified the close relationship between the organisations and AIROD being a Lockheed Martin Hercules Service Centre for 35 years.

AIROD was established in 1976 as the first and only in-country depot level maintenance facility to support the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) C-130 aircraft and the associated engines, aero-components and avionics.

In 1984 it was incorporated as a private limited company as a joint venture between Aerospace Industries Malaysia (AIM) which is now known as National Aerospace & Defence Industries (NADI) and Lockheed Aircraft Systems International (LASI) of USA. Shareholders then included Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company through their Lockheed Aircraft Service International (LASI) holding 49% interest and National Aerospace & Defence Industries (NADI) holding the remaining 51%.

Under the terms of the Joint Venture (JV) Agreement, LASI shares were to be progressively reduced over a period of time. Thus in 1995 LASI shares were full acquired by NADI.

“As you can see, the relationship between AIROD and Lockheed Martin runs long and is deeply rooted in AIROD’s culture as a global MRO player for the C-130”, said Maj Gen Ismail bin Ibrahim, CEO of AIROD.

Tom Henwood, Director of Indo-Pacific Business Development, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics presented a Certificate of Recognition from Lockheed Martin to Maj Gen Ismail, for the achievement of being a Hercules Service Centre for 35 years

Headquartered in Subang, Malaysia, AIROD provides aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul services to support Royal Malaysian Air Force aircrafts.  AIROD has provided services to the US Air Force under a previous US government contract and has serviced 76 customers in 33 countries and is an authorised Lockheed Martin C-130 Hercules service centre. 

Headquartered in North Bethesda, Maryland, Washington, D.C, USA, The Lockheed Martin Corporation is an American aerospace, arms, defence, information security, and technology corporation with worldwide reach and the OEM of the Hercules C-130 aircraft. — nadi/adj/mhi (Pix: Royal Malaysian Air Force, NADI)